We had some guidance on the six Sigma Projects. Now let us focus on identification of Six Sigma Projects.
Six Sigma is accomplished one project at a time. Identification of Six Sigma Projects shall aim at breakthrough Improvements and not simple goals. The billion of dollars saved by companies around the world is the cumulative effect of properly selecting and defining business issues that can be assigned to Green Belts and Black Belts for solution. Six Sigma projects are a key action that you can take to reach your organization’s strategic goals.
I have gathered some of the ideas for the Six Sigma Projects from Various Sources. Some of these are obvious and can be applied across any organization after careful evaluation. You can study them, based on your current status these can be implemented formally as projects. the prioritization shall be specific to the organization. The best approach would be pick the idea, do a brainstorming and finally come to a conclusion on the priorities. The prioritization can be done based on the current status, Quickness in results, availability of data, and so on. One of the Main criteria shall be the priorities of the Top Management who must commit the resources and give support for the project to be a success.
General Ideas for Six Sigma Projects.
- Customer Satisfaction improvement.
- Reduce the Scrap or rejections
- Reduce the down time of resources (Machinery) or to increase uptime.
- Reduce the Rework
- Increase the output
- Increase throughput (output from multiple processes, locations, departments) or Reduce bottlenecks
- Reduce Quality Defects from the output
- Reduce customer complaints.
- Increase the process Velocity ( lean)
- Any item reworked in a process (sales contracts, invoices, surgeries, software, etc.)
- Reduce the Process Variation (Sales, Purchase, Recruitment Etc)
- Reduce Variation of input consumption (product)
- Reduce the time taken for Inspection
- Reduce the multiple hand-offs
- Findings from the Internal, External, Customer and Regulatory Audits